Wednesday 17 June 2015

Astigmatism // Know Your Eyes





Ever since I was little and started having regular eye tests, I have never needed glasses. Last November, I went along for my regular eye test as normal, but this time, my eyes had changed and for the first time ever, I needed glasses. The optician told me that my eyes had gone more rugby ball shaped rather than football shaped, and that's why my vision was blurry. I picked out my glasses and didn't really think much more of it. Recently, I decided to research it and see what the cause and name was for 'rugby ball' shaped eyes. It is called 'Astigmatism'.

Astigmatism is a common eye problem that affects your ability to see things close up and further away. Unlike short sightedness (which only affects distance vision) and long sightedness (which only affects close-up vision), astigmatism affects both distance and close vision. Astigmatism can make a multitude of tasks difficult, so I have to wear my glasses when I'm reading, writing, on my phone, on the computer, watching TV, and when I learn to drive I will have to wear them. She basically said I have to wear them when doing anything I concentrate on!

Astigmatism is a refractive error caused by an imperfection in the eye. This imperfection changes the way your eye focuses the light rays that pass into it. The light that enters your eye focuses on two places, rather than one, so you don't have one clear image, which makes objects at all distances look blurry.


Astigmatism is normally and was traditionally corrected by glasses and contacts. However, people can now get laser eye surgery to correct this imperfection.

Remember to get your eyes checked regularly so they don't get worse if you do need glasses. I haven't really worn mine since I got them, and I feel like my vision is getting worse. So I will now be wearing them properly as I want my eyes to hopefully correct themselves or atleast not get any worse!

Much Love..


2 comments:

  1. I better not ignore my opticians eye test letter then! It's so weird how your eyes can be fine and then they change slightly x

    Kirsty x
    (Thinklikekirst)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is strange! Never thought I'd need glasses..

      Sophie xx

      Delete